Hi, we’re Gravie, and we are building the health plan of the future. For the past few decades, the health insurance industry has evolved to serve the needs of employers, insurance companies, brokers, and (sometimes) doctors and hospitals. The needs of the consumer, however, have largely been left out of the equation. We’re changing that. We are rebuilding the entire health insurance stack, with the consumer as the central focus. Our goal is to create a health plan that people can love.
Gravie is headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota and we are building an Underwriting Team in Hartford, Connecticut. We prefer applicants to be located in either location.
A Little More About Us:
· We know healthcare. Our company was founded and is still led by industry veterans who have started and grown several market-leading companies in the space.
· We are quickly becoming one of the fastest growing health benefits companies in the country. We have received numerous awards and accolades, including Inc. Magazine Best in Business Gold Medal award in 2021, and JMP Securities Top 50 Private Companies in Insurtech in 2022.
· We have raised money from top tier investors who share the same long-term vision as we do of building an industry defining company that will endure over the long run. We are well capitalized.
· Our customers like us. Our revenue churn is in the low single digits, in an industry where greater than 20% churn is common.
· Our culture is unique. We tend to be non-hierarchical, merit-driven, opinionated but kind people who thrive working in a high-performance, fast-paced environment. People at Gravie care deeply about making a positive impact in the lives of the people we serve. We may not be the right place for everybody, but if you get energized by doing work every day that focuses on putting consumers at the front of the line, we could be a great place for you.
· It takes unique people and diverse perspectives to deliver our results. We encourage you to be your authentic self – we like you that way.
A Little More About The Job:
We’re looking for a Manager of Underwriting - Channel. This role leads newer team members (i.e., Underwriters, Analysts) that support Gravie’s insurance business and more specifically the underwriting function. They play a key role in helping provide the analysis of both new business and renewals of existing business working closely with Underwriting Revenue Operations, Sales and Account Management, Actuarial and Data Science. The Team Leader is responsible for both leading a team of 3-5 FTEs and the technical oversight of the unit. They play a key role in supporting the successful pricing of the business.
· Play a key role in using and enhancing Gravie’s proprietary underwriting engine to offer competitive pricing for a first-of-its-kind health plan to employers and their employees across the country.
· Work closely with your peer Team Leaders (over Analysts & Partnership groups) to own and quarterback capacity balancing and assignment of new business quotes and renewals for employer groups seeking or currently enrolled in Gravie’s proprietary products.
· Manage and mentor a small team (3-5) of Underwriters/underwriting analysts in a blended leadership and technical role. This role could be the entry into broader management roles but continues to leverage their technical expertise.
· Review the Underwriter’s rate development for new business quotes and renewals, within their limits of authority, requesting additional analyses as necessary to accurately assess risk.
· Support and lead any applicable training initiatives especially with highly technical underwriting and financial topics.
· Learn the ins and outs of Gravie’s proprietary underwriting engine and contribute to the improvement and evolution of Gravie’s underwriting practices.
· Collaborate with Gravie teams and third-party Underwriting and Actuarial vendors to support the ongoing transition of Gravie’s Underwriting function from out-sourced to in-sourced.
· Work closely with Sales Operations, Underwriting, and Analytics teams, as well as third party vendors, to successfully and efficiently manage Gravie’s busy and growing pipeline of quotes/renewals.
· Work closely with Account Management on strategies and pricing to support the retention of existing customers.
· Help develop and refine the Underwriting strategies, guidelines and tools to enhance the overall performance of the business and processes.
· Be responsible for all people management aspects for their team. Support key Underwriting projects designed to drive efficiencies and UW automation that is imperative as we scale our business.
· Work with Actuarial and Data Science to enhance cost prediction and risk assessment methodology.
· Join a team of smart, hard-working, and devoted colleagues at a successful and rapidly growing startup.
· Have potential career path opportunities based on performance as part of a dynamic and growing organization.
· Demonstrated commitment to core Gravie competencies of being authentic, curious, creative, empathetic, and outcome oriented.
· Bachelor’s degree Business, Finance, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Insurance or other related majors
· 5+ years of relevant group health fully insured, self-insured, level funded, and/or stop loss underwriting
· Some management or formal mentoring experience preferred
· Strong analytical aptitude and problem-solving skills
· Quantitative proficiency and a love of working with numbers
· Strong Microsoft Excel skills
· Excellent attention to detail
· An appetite for learning and quickly putting what you learn into practice
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Habits of excellent organization, time management, and responsiveness
· Decision making skills
· A flexible attitude and ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Background or interest working for a startup
· Master’s degree or other related educational experience
Competitive pay is standard. Our unique benefits program is the gravy, i.e., the special sauce that sets our compensation package apart. In addition to standard benefits, Gravie’s package includes alternative medicine coverage, flexible PTO, 16 weeks paid parental leave, paid holidays, cell phone reimbursement, education reimbursement, and 1 week of paid paw-ternity leave just to name a few.
Where permitted by applicable law, candidates must be fully vaccinated or be willing to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by date of hire to be considered for a job at Gravie.
Salary range available upon request.