Our mission and vision
hackajob is a SaaS-enabled marketplace that allows companies to scale their tech teams today, whilst building their talent of tomorrow.
Technology is driving the world forward at an unprecedented rate. Every company has woken up to realise they need to place technology at the heart of their strategy or they’ll soon be extinct. And at its core, this transformation will be driven by great people.
But how great people and great companies find each other is broken. It’s opaque, biased and plagued by a terrible experience. And as the demand for technical talent explodes, not enough is being done to create the talent for tomorrow.
We're changing this with radical transparency, best-in-class service and a long-term approach to talent, all powered by technology.
We see a world where technical talent has an incredible experience developing their career and finding the right company to unleash their full potential, whilst employers are able to attract, nurture and retain the talent they need to thrive in the technical economy.
- Trust - we hire great people, provide an environment for them to thrive in and then give them the freedom to make an impact.
- Transparency - this is all of our company, not just the founders or investors and therefore you’ll know as much as we do.
- Customer Obsession - we want to give our engineers and employers the best service they’ve ever experienced.
- Ambition - we want to think big and take risks to create the world we see.
- Driven - we want to continuously improve and get shit done.
We are looking for a Senior Product Designer to join one of our cross-functional product teams.
Product at hackajob
As we scale our Product Organisation, we're building durable product teams (we call them squads) that are empowered to solve customer problems. As a Product Designer in this model, you'll work alongside a Product Manager, and a team of Engineers, taking ownership of big problems from discovery to delivery and measuring outcomes and impact. This is intentionally distinct from the often seen feature team model where a "higher-up" hands down a list of features to build.
We have an exceptionally exciting vision for our product and you'll play a really key role in helping us achieve it. You'll be supported with strategic context, transparency in decision making and coached to succeed as you help us iterate the way we build product at hackajob.
You’ll spend your time:
- working in an agile team, collaborating closely with the Product Manager, Engineers and Data Scientists to solve real problems for candidates, clients and colleagues. You will build and leverage strong relationships with other teams at hackajob as well as external stakeholders. We’re strong believers in the benefit of empowered product teams.
- using product discovery techniques to solve customer problems, regularly interviewing users of our product, analysing data and creating and testing hypotheses.
- testing product ideas quickly, communicating and testing both internally and externally through prototypes, building a culture of experimentation.
- validating and refining ideas and collecting new insights through frequent user testing.
- championing the user experience of our product across all touch points, including interfaces, emails, marketing, sales and customer success processes, iterating the end-to-end user experience over time.
- creating outstanding interaction and visual designs — helping to build a design system we use consistently across our product.
- bringing, embracing and encouraging less conventional ideas and thinking, as we’re looking for ways to change the way that the industry operates. You’ll also work with the rest of the team, including our VP Product and VP Engineering to identify ways to improve and adapt the way that we work and organise ourselves.
Apply if you:
- are an experienced Product Designer and have experience working with agile product teams.
- have excellent communication and emotional intelligence, and enjoy engaging and working with different types of people across an organisation.
- have experience using a range of prototyping techniques, and user interviews to test hypotheses as part of a Product Discovery process.
- have extensive experience in user experience design for web based technology products.
- are capable in both interaction design — the underlying conceptual models, task flows and control layouts to manipulate those concepts, and visual design — composition, typography, use of colour, brand application.
- have an inquisitive mind and look to consistently challenge and improve what you do. You’re data-driven in your approach to design. You love solving problems and bringing others along on the journey.
We’d especially love to hear from you if you:
- have worked at a startup or scale-up. You thrive on working in a startup environment, which can be full of unpredictability and change, and enjoy the challenge of helping shape and grow something, making sense of the sometimes abstract!
Don’t tick all the boxes but really excited about this role? We’d encourage you to apply with a cover letter explaining your journey, what you’ve learnt and where you’re heading. We’ll respond to every application with feedback so you’ve got nothing to lose.
We know that interview processes can be time-consuming and stressful, so we aim to:
- Let you know what to expect at each stage of the process.
- Get back to you with useful feedback as quickly as possible, after each stage.
It may be necessary to change the process from time to time but we’ll let you know if we do.
- Screening call (30mins video call)\
- An initial screening call to discuss your fit for the role. Please have examples of your work ready — we don’t need a beautifully designed portfolio if you don’t have one, we’re more interested in your stories and what you can show us to support them.
- Lead Product Designer (1hr video call)
- A chance to meet our Lead Product Designer, discuss your experience in more detail and our ways of working at hackajob.
- Meet the team, culture and values (1hr video call)
- Meet more of the team, usually including a Product Manager, an Engineer and other people you may interact with. We’ll also look to assess mutual cultural fit.
- VP Product (30min video call)
- A chance to meet our VP of Product who will be happy to answer your questions about hackajob and the role
- Competitive salary and equity options 🤑
- hackajob Passport - work from anywhere in the world for 2 months/year ✈️
- 27 days holiday + bank holidays 🏝️
- An extra day off for your birthday 🎂
- Office closed between Christmas and New Year (in addition to your leave allowance!) 🎄
- Apple Macbook Laptop or Windows Laptop 💻
- Enhanced primary and secondary caregiver leave 🍼
- Private medical insurance 🩺
- Private dental insurance 😬
- Learning and development budget 📚
- Wellbeing budget 💜
- Work from home stipend - a one-time budget to spend on the tools to boost your productivity at home. 🪴
- Regular team events and socials 🎉
- Access to all hackajob sponsored and partnered events 🎟️